Skip to main content

Revisiting Bygones


It was too dark along the path, the trees blocked the scant remains of daylight. I trembled with fear. There were bushes, anthuriums and hues of green, all drowned in the thicket of black. There were sounds too. Rustles and loud swishes. And the sounds between the thicket grew louder and louder. It was like someone standing with their heavy feet not ready to move, deeply digging their feet into the ground. I know someone was close. Much powerful. I picked up my pace but faltered after 3 steps. With the wobbly knees, I got up and sprinted. Not only me. Everyone hotfooted. Yet it’s shadows wouldn’t leave us. It is not going to leave any of us I deciphered. Like a hound, it will track down with our scent and attack us. One at a time. No. It is not that soft. It will take lives in mass. And it will become hard to breathe. Some will lose themselves, finding impossible to see what lies ahead. And for some, the suffocating isolation will break their last straw. What will happen in isolation! What will happen if isolation bang doors of each of us! Too dreadful to think. Everything felt like a sinister call.
The clock chimes. Its only 7 am. I wake up with a start. With a blur of my dream that I saw last night. Not a dream but a nightmare. And it thwarts my attempt to sleep anymore. I switch on the television, consigning the nightmarish thoughts of the night to the back of my mind. Ignoring the loud ringing of a telephone in the drawing room, my eyes remain glued to channel 152 on my TV. News flash. Novel Covid – 19 claims 16 lives in India. Grazing my forehead, I certainly become aware. The powerful creature that I saw in my nightmare was none other than this deadly virus.

10 days hence. PM declares lockdown for 21 days.

In a matter of few days into the 21 day lockdown, life changes. Dramatically. A new perspective emerges. Reflections of life become vivid.

Life in this 21 day lockdown post the breakout of global crisis called Corona has placed us in a parallel universe where we are left to our own devices, with our smartphones! Literally to run our four-walled life. Even before the crisis, the phones controlled our life but this is different. Different because its an only source of communication amidst the chaos that is running deep. The source which acts as a machinery to book vegetables and groceries online, send unlimited forwards and dig deeper by reading the reports and statistics from various data agencies give a peep into a life, far and beyond the doors and windows of our mainstay. The gravity of situation dilutes with the forwards, memes and jokes that are in bad taste, often leaving us overwhelmed and with a spinning headache. There are lives in danger and the families whose loved ones are kept in isolation units have lost connection with each other. The grim situation continues to haunt us yet there seems to be no socket of cure to plug our hope.

Amidst all this chaos, there is also a universe that co-exist and thrive. If PM orders us to stay indoors else, we will go back 21 years, he clearly did not seem to know that people actually have stepped back much more than 21 years in this lockdown phase. The family time is back with exchange of new thoughts and ideas. 
The video call has more than 2 members joining in and giving the conference a new light. College friends suddenly try to come up with a convenient time to con call even though all are spread across the world living in different time zones. Leading to a celebration of a virtual reunion.Tea time spent with kids and partners replace cubicle gossips and watercooler conversations. 
Kids. Oh, kids are the stars of the present. They have designed their world according to their parents’ zoom calls and kitchen demands. The garden time is replaced with gardening and watering the plants, diving into a world of books, and ably assisting mothers in making chappatis using a rolling pin. Playtime gets extended with grandpa and grandma joining in to play lego and decorate the doll houses. 
Board games are back and counting is taught to preschoolers using ancient mancala. The mothers’ of ICSE and CBSE kids whose subconscious ached and longed to introduce their kids to Montessori chose to live their dream by homeschooling and getting their kids do household chores in the name of Montessori curriculum. Gone are the days when it felt annoying to see the knick-knacks from the toy basket hidden in some inaccessible place. Now, the rules are relaxed and the tempers don’t fray even if parents stumble upon a toy car when they pass from one room to another.
 Distant cousins call up and hit the nostalgia button, sharing anecdotes of the times lived together and of those times without. The recipes are shared via chat groups and visage of what’s cooking in the kitchen takes precedence over others. If social distancing is the buzz word outside one’s roof, love blossoms and bonding develops under one’s roof. This is the parallel universe we wanted to see and experience.
 If the dead rivers and the seas get a chance to take birth again, to breathe and the birds get to chirp and sing their morning glory, even our feelings which were dead are reborn in the middle of these 21 days, pushing our hearts to chirp again. Somewhere we have found our lost baggage from the carousel of life. The baggage consisting of feelings, humanity and unconditional love towards our family and our neighborhood. And when this lockdown period is over, I hope we march ahead with this heavy baggage. May the items in this baggage guide us in our future and every walk of our life. I am pinning my hopes in the mankind. May the hope shine.

(This is a record of the podcast for Spinayarnindia where storytellers were asked to narrate their message of hope)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PURPLE HIBISCUS – The fragrance of Hope and Freedom will be etched in your hearts forever

“I wanted to tell Mama that it did feel different to be back, that our living room had too much empty space, too much wasted marble floor that gleamed from Sisi’s polishing and housed nothing. Our celing was too high. Our furniture was lifeless: the glass tables did not shed twisted skin in the harmattan, the leather sofas’ greeting was a clammy coldness, and the Persian rugs were too lush to have any feeling. But I said, “You polished the etagere.” " The above text appears when Jaja and Kambili return from Nsukku, their Aunty Ifeoma’s house, and witness their place as dull and lacking warmth even though the house glistened like a palace. The warmth that Aunty Ifeoma’s house had carried during the days they spent despite having a nondescript house and where they prayed every day for Peace and Laughter. Laughter among all the things. Because Laughter was valued in their house everyday despite living with shortcomings something that Kambili hardly got to experience in own h

Positivity in Tee: Reading between the Errands

  You cannot run from positive affirmations even if you think you have run out of them.   They will come, looking for you. All you have to do is keep your eyes wide open and graciously receive them with warmth and care. They can come to you at any moment and from any quarter perhaps, while running errands like when the momentum has picked up in you to array the disarray in your child’s wardrobe. When that happens, you treat them as a little note, an epiphany or a sacred sign from the universe and insert them as a key that locks itself into your mind with an audible click, only to unlock a change in you and get reflected in every journey you embark. When your little one’s Tees mouth affirmations, you cannot just run away without glancing at it. Start small, dream big, repeat – Starting small and repeating them with consistency is so underrated these days. So much of today’s world is rooted in instant gratifications and making it big in a wink of time. Small, incremental progress is th

AN EROTIC LOVE STORY

How can I live without you? I have my soul stirring for you. My breathe trusts you. The every sip of you I take, I gain my years. One fine day, the heat waves hit me. When the body sweat gave me shiver down my spine and tinkled me, I could just remember you. I smiled, enjoyed and felt you. When there is heavy pours and when I drench in it, you come in my mind. It is like you are there everywhere. I can feel it.   When I feel like biting you, you almost melt on me and I end up drinking you. When I paint some picture, you come to my mind. Suddenly, my hands urge to dip in you, touch you and brush you everywhere. Tsunami brings back to the memories of your anger. When you are in that state, you drink me. That sinking feeling is special. When I am on a shower, you come and hug me tightly. My heart races up. I get the feeling that you have almost reached me. I could see that as you touch me, you take the roads untraveled and reach almost everywhere. I am b